Monday, November 4, 2013

The Road so far...

My development as a fighter thus far can be split roughly into four different sections.

The beginning: 2007, when I had no idea what I was doing or who I was going to be. We will call this The Loaner Kit. During this time, I was lucky enough to have his Grace, Duke Mittion, take the time to train me and loan me gear from his own armoury so I could fight. Loaner gear is (by definition) ugly, uncomfortable, or both. Still, I think I got off luckier than most. The only bad piece was the helm because I was so much smaller than it.


As far as I am concerned, every kit and every fight should teach you something so you can improve. The Loaner Kit is what I was wearing when I first saw Old Asgard fight. This is what made me lean towards a Norse-inspired persona. I also realized the importance of shoulder protection, and my dislike of basket hilts.


The Loaner Kit (2007)
Helm rustbucket- Large helm with egg crate padding. No matter what I did, I couldn't get all the rust off, and it had a huge gap that was unsafe against low thrusts.
Gorget-A dog collar gorget gift from Alda. Made from smurf blubber and leather.
Ancient leather breastplate- Simple leather breastplate with spaulders.
Gorgeous Stainless Steel Gothic Cross Cuisses and knees from Icefalcon. They were pretty shiny, blocked all hits, and heavy.
Splint vambraces and elbow cop.
Ratty old gambeson- plenty of waaagh
Basket Hilt Sword
Windrider Rectangle shield


The second step in my fighting career came 5 years later. I had left Trimaris and  completely lost the SCA. I had no way to get back into it while I was in Aethelmarc. It was a sad thing that I had just learned about fighting and couldn't find a way to get in armour. Finally, my exile from the field ended with my return to Trimaris. I cobbled together what I could, and borrowed the rest to start fighting again. This left me with a set that had me fighting my armour almost as much as my opponent. Sir Gõcauo was the one that gave me that advice, and I put it to work quickly to improve my kit.  Most of this kit has been put into the household loaner stuff so that others can get started.


My first real kit taught me that the heaviest leather you can buy doesn't necessarily make the best armour. The breastplate kept me from being able to effectively move my arms across my chest, which hampered me greatly. I also learned that I like my thighs, and they need something to protect them. My leatherworking started to improve and I could do more ambitious projects, but I still had a lot to learn, like how to bake wax-hardened pieces so they weren't covered in excess wax.


The Begining (2012)
Loaner Helm- Spun Top with camail sprayed silver.
Leather Gorget- gift from Augustine.
Silver Dragon breastplate- Fantasy inspired, heavy, stiff, couldn't cross arms. Dyed black with spaulders.
Floating knees and chain mail drape- The chain mail wasn't even steel, just aluminum. This made it light enough so as to be worthless
Bazubands- They were my first attempt at wax hardening. They protected well, but they were extremely difficult to get on and off.
Sweatshirt
Basket Hilt
Small Center Strapped Round



I became a fighter authorized and ready to go, but the time had come to stop borrowing and stand on my own feet. Thanks to my lovely lady Braenna, I was able to replace the hardest piece of my armour: the helm. As a gift, she bought me a spangen/barbute mix that looks amazing and deadly. It may be a little too good of a helm, as I miss shots that others tell me should have been good. The other windfall that helped me fall into my kit was a sale from a fighter getting out of the game. I got a huge lot for a small price and was able to replace my arms and legs with something that I liked much more. I was now a fully armoured fighter in my own right. I was still struggling with pieces, but at least I could go to an event and compete without bothering others for their gear.


It was now time to start putting lessons learned into making the kit a good one that I was comfortable with.


Authorized Fighter (Early 2013)
Half Barbute/Half Spangen. Awesome helm, exactly what I want. Dark colour, plenty of rivets to give it accents and a face plate.
Leather Gorget
Silver Dragon Breastplate, with chain mail underneath.
Leather cuisses and MS knees with wings. Finally some decent thigh protection
Leather vambraces, MS elbows with wings: good mobility, comfortable, but a little heavy
Black Gambeson.
Basket Hilt
Center Strapped Round




To that end, the first change I made came as a gift from a good friend, Vikarr, for getting him into the SCA. He gave me a Zoombang shirt, this allowed me to get rid of the clunky leather breastplate. It made me leaner and meaner, I could move and not feel so encumbered. This helped my endurance and my defense. Next change was fighting style: I moved to the axe and sword. This style is overlooked in SCA combat because of how slow the axe is. To me, the axe is a both a utility and defensive weapon. It is my primary block as well as entanglement. It gives the threat of another attack, which also keeps my opponent on their toes. To top it all off, to me it just feels like the fighting style an assault trooper would use. The final change that made my current kit was completely cosmetic. I replaced the knees with ones without wings. By hiding them beneath my Rus pants, my visible armour consists only of chain mail, helm, and vambraces. From what I've seen in my research, this is getting very close to what a Norse warrior of the late 10th early 11th century should look like, with the obvious changes for SCA safety.


Issues with the kit as it stands: The gauntlets were cheap, and so they don't move with my hands. This makes changing my grip on the axe difficult, something that would make the fighting style more effective. Visually, the fans on the elbow cops detract from the lightly armoured appearance. I would like to replace those with small fanless cops that would be less visible while wearing a tunic.


Current (End of 2013)
Barbute/ Spangen
Leather Gorget
Zoombang and Chainmail Shirt- butted galvanized chain
Leather Cuisses and Asgard knees- hiddden under grey Rus pants
Leather vambraces and MS Elbows
Leather Gauntlets
Red Tunic and grey fighting pants. Finally got period boots
Large Axe with head spike
Viking Sword with fixtures.




It's been a long time since I sat here and looked back on the changes my armour has gone through. It's astonishing to me how much it has changed in just a year. I have carefully made choices based on resources, and what I want the final product to look like, and it has started to get me where I want to be. The journey isn't done. I still have changes to make and things to learn, but I am happy with what has come so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment